The last time I did this...

I went in for my regular weekly OB appointment at about 9:00 a.m. on Tuesday, December 16th. Everything was fine, nothing out of the ordinary. I was due on Christmas Day. George and I had talked it over and decided that we really didn't want to spend our first Christmas as a married couple in the hospital... so I mentioned that to Dr. Harnetty. I asked him if we could do something to make the baby come earlier, or do something to make the baby come after Christmas. Much to our suprise, he said ... well, what are you guys doing this afternoon around 4:00? I was still a little confused, but I guess George caught right on to what he was getting at b/c he responded, "Having a baby!"

I was NOT ready.

But, we went anyway. That afternoon, after a trip to Wal-Mart (ugh) to get a few last minute things, we were on our way.

By the time we got to the hospital and back into our room, it was around 4:30 or so. The nurse came in and got me all ready. Then another nurse came in to get my IV going. If you know me well, you know that I am NOT in any way, shape, form, or fashion a fan of needles. I've been known to pass out when they get close to me. I just hate them. Well, I hate them because of things like this:

The nurse took my arm and pricked and prodded for what seemed like forever. George (being the doll that he is) was holding my hand on the other side of the bed trying to distract me from the obvious with a little petty conversation... then I heard it. IT! Blood... gushing blood. George's face went pale and expressionless and the conversation stopped. When I looked over, there was blood everywhere. It was on the curtain, the chair, the floor. It was disgusting. I just looked at the nurse, and without me having to say anything, she said - "Let me go get someone else". I thought that was probably a good idea. SO she went on her way and sent in a new nurse and someone to clean up the bloody mess that she had made... The new nurse had the IV in and working in a flash. Where was she the first time!?

After that was over and done with and the medicines had started to work their magic, I tried to get a little rest - but with contractions and people coming in and out and visitors and everything else going on - rest was a little out of the question.

George and I talked for a while and he tried to watch the monitors ro judge when the contractions were coming, but he was getting tired. In the labor and delivery room at Phoebe there is no bed for visitors... so George spread himself out on the hardwood floor and tried the best he could to get some sleep --- while I tried the best I could to get some sleep too.

The nurses were in and out checking this and checking that -- and before we knew it, it was morning. Did you read that right? It was morning... and there was NO baby.

Around 5:00 a.m. they gave me my first epidural. I was so ready to be done with hurting. Well, to my suprise - the epidural only took on my right side. I could still feel everything on the left. After waiting for about an hour or so for it to "take" --- I asked the nurse to have the anesthesiologist (sp?) come back to see what we could do. He tried to explain to me that I would feel a little pressure and that every thing was fine... but when I lifted my left leg high in the air and explained to him that I knew the difference between pressure and pain, he seemed a bit more cooperative. SO, he gave me epi #2. There was about an hour of total relief, but then I started to be able to feel pain on my right side. Yeah, not fun. The new epi had only taken on my left side and my previous pain free right side, was really starting to feel it. It's about 9:00 a.m. now (I only remember that b/c everyone around me was eating and I couldn't!) - and I asked the nurse to once again, get the Epidural guy. When he came back in, I know that he thought I was crazy.. but when I showed him that my once dormant right leg was now fully mobile, he gave me YET ANOTHER huge needle in my back epidural. After about 45 minutes so, It seemed to FINALLY be working! Thank goodness - I could finally rest.

And that is exactly what I did. I woke up around lunchtime when George told me that he was about to go down the cafeteria and get some lunch with his friend, Matt. To my knowledge, that was the only time he left my side - and there were other people there so I was fine with it.

By the time he made it back, I was wide awake and getting pretty frustrated that there was no baby by this point. I was almost fully dilated and nothing was moving!

My sweet, sweet Doctor was there on and off the whole time, but I could tell at this point that he was ready for some progress.

Since nothing exciting was happening at this point, I told George to tell all the people in the waiting room to go on home for a while - it would be a few more hours at least.

Around 4:00 or so, the Doctor came back in and told me that Sarah Jane's heart rate was still and it was looking like we were going to have to do an emergency c-section. That was NOT what I wanted to hear after all that time, but my doctor was great. He assured me that everything would be fine and this baby would be here and healthy within the next 2 hours.

SO, George called who he needed to call and then we started getting ready. I don't remember much about the process of getting ready - but I do remember the big parts.

After getting me all prepped and moving me to an operating bed, I think I must have had a panic attack or something because I started shaking uncontrolably. They had to strap me to the bed like a physch patient to keep me from shaking off the bed. I don't remember how long it was before they calmed me down, but the next thing I do remember is being in the operating room. The doctor was there and a few nurses, and I was COLD. They put electric blankets on my arms with hot air blowing under them and then when I looked over there was George. He was all dressed in blue hospital gear and trying his best to talk me through it. Dr. Harnetty said that they were going to clean the surgical area and it would be over soon - George was telling me that I was a trooper, that he was so excited, that I could do it --- and then he said, I see your insides! I see the baby! ... George stood up and reached for Sarah Jane, she wrapped her little fingers around his and then they whisked her to the other side of the room to be cleaned up. I could hear her, but I couldn't see her. Dr. Harnetty and his team closed me up and I sent George to watch every move the nurses made --- because, yes, I am a physcho about hospitals and babies.

I went to the recovery room until I was able to move my legs...which was a VERY LONG TIME. By the time I made it back up to the room, our wednesday night church was over and there were LOTS of people there if that gives you any idea of a time line. When they handed Sarah Jane to me for the first time, it was the most amazing feeling - she was perfect -- even with a little cut on her forehead from the surgery :(.

We stayed in the hospital for 2 more days before we went home on the 19th. That was the first full night of sleep that I had gotten in 4 days and I definitely needed it.

After my surgery, I don't remember the exact day that I started to feel better. She was born on the 17th and by Christmas, I was on the floor passing out presents and crawling around.

I have to admit that this time, I am a little nervous - just because I don't really do needles and knives and all that stuff very well. However, I just saw a good friend go in for a scheduled C-section and she did GREAT. She definitely gives me hope that this will go smoothly.

I hope that my recovery goes as easy as it did last time, I know that the process of getting him here HAS to be. But, either way - the end result is worth it. I can't wait to meet this little guy.


April Cluck said...

Well, your post is giving me hope too!!! Thanks. I will be having this baby by c-section too and I am hoping that it is scheduled and as uneventful as possible. I just had two people I know come out of scheduled c-sections with absolutely no issues whatsoever;So I hope that eases your tension as well.

mrsfredknapp said...

Dr Kitchen did mine and Lynette was there. It went smoothly. I have pics of Fred in the blue gear too. :)

Whitney said...

I'm going to be honest...this blog made me squirm. The idea of pregnancy and giving birth scares the poo out of me!!

Jay said...

I'll be honest too, Whitney - I believe that the only beautiful thing about the entire process is the end result.

Dana said...

I have no personal experience with the C-section but I do know several friends who have had a planned one following a previous emergency and they all seem to be in agreement that a planned one is much better... The hardest part of anything is not knowing.. You've got that part behind you!

And I'm sure it's no surprise that this post made me cry.

I love you!