7.21.2009

So, maybe I am a little obsessed...

Music has always spoken to me more than anything else.

So, if you would like a little more insight into Me...
I updated my music player! But instead of just putting some random songs on there about who knows what and hoping that maybe, just maybe, you'll listen to them..
I wanted to share why I chose the ones that I did by telling you a bit about them, or maybe sharing a few of the lyrics that just reach out and grab me.


So, here ya go...


The first song on there is called First Dance, by Corey Smith.
I LOVE Corey Smith. Yeah, he can be a big harsh... but he is wonderful. This song is my favorite Corey Smith hit. It's about getting married and keeping that newlywed love alive. It's a hard thing to do, something that George and I have failed at before. But, when I hear this song... it makes me want to find George and dance all around our house.
My favorite lyrics in First Dance are...


"I've been scared as hell
Cause I've heard how the story goes
You get married and you settle down
And the passion withers like a rose
But I refuse to lose
This thing we have together
And I'll keep the fire burning baby
Burning both ends of forever"
____________________
The next song is called "About Rain" and it's by a group called Sequoyah Prep School. They're another one of my fave groups. They're not really mainstream, but if you check them out... I am sure that you will love them too. I heard this song not long after it came out and I can't get enough of it. It doesn't particularly apply to any part of my life, I've never necessarily lived inside any of the lyrics... but I do like dancing in the rain, George and I did meet in July, and he does have blue eyes... and we will be fine. You'll have to listen to the song to get that.
____________________
Everybody Loves Rob Thomas, right? Well, maybe it's just me. But I love "Little Wonders"... it's one of those that I never get tired of. Which is a good thing since radio stations across America played this song until people became numb to it (I HATE it when radio stations do that)... But I think that if the world would just listen to Rob on this one, the world would be a better place. It's the little things, what a concept.
I love these lyrics:
"Our lives are made
In these small hours
These little wonders
These twists and turns of fate
Time falls away
But these small hours
Still remain"
_____________________
Then there is Wildflowers... Song that speaks to my heart. It's a classic, plain as that. This one takes me back to our honeymoon. George popped this CD in on the way home and I haven't been able to get enough of it since. Who doesn't belong among the wildflowers? If only everyone could feel that free. I am actually about to re-decorate SJ's room around that whole theme.
____________________
I feel like the next one might need a disclaimer:
** I do NOT like Phish. I do NOT listen to their music. I do NOT support their habits, lifestyle or cult like following ***
BUT
I do love this song. It's called Waste... and it's wonderful. Surely it's the only good thing that sprouted from this group.
I think that this song is what made me fall in Love with George.
The 2nd night we were together, George picked up his guitar and told me that he had a song for me, so I listened... and this is the one that he played. I've never forgetten. His eyes never left mine. I still find myself singing it.. going right back to that Camp Wiregrass Gazebo, it's a moment that I would relive everyday if I could. But listening to this song is as close as I can get.
____________________
Heaven, by Live, is a great song. It pushes some limits, but it's so true. My whole life I was told about heaven and God and miracles... and up until Sarah Jane was born... that was it, I had only heard it. When she was alive, I saw it.
"I don't need no one, to tell me about Heaven, I look at my daughter and I believe..."
___________________
As you know, if you have been here before... Sara Groves is my FAVORITE. I realize the fact that she isn't everyone's favorite... that is the reason that I do not have an entire music player full of her music. Every song that she sings is like it has pulled right out of my heart and sung through her lips. She's a blessing to me, musically.
This song is my favorite of all. It's called Loving a Person... there are so many reasons why I love this song. If you're married, please listen to it. It's lifechanging, and came to me at a time when I needed it most. It was restorational.
Here are a few lines that I owe so many things to:
"There's a lot of pain in reaching out and trying
It's a vulnerable place to be
Love and pride
can't occupy the same spaces baby
Only one makes you free
Hold on to me
I'll hold on to you
Let's find out the beauty of seeing things through"

_____________________

Lucky Ones --Judge me if you like, I love the Dixie Chicks. I always have... I always will. This song is wonderful, it's another one that helps me when I forget what to be thankful for.

"It might be broken but at least we've seen the truth, All I know is I've got you to hang onto"

"We lose our friends in the sea and vanish every day, And dreams can fade when you don't come back the same, When I got here it felt strange somehow, People I once knew seem different to me now"

"When the last long night is done...If we find our way back home..Oh, we're the lucky ones"

______________________

Then there is "Her Eyes" by Pat Monahan... and I am convinced that the girl that he wrote this song about and I would be BFF. There are so many things that I think about on a daily basis in this song. Check it out, it's a cool one.

______________________

And last, but not least at all... is a song called "My Jesus" by a guy named Todd Agnew. It's a tough song for me to throw out here. I feel like by doing it, then I am making myself a hypocrite. It's a song that pushes my limits and makes me think. I think that all too often, I am the one that he is talking to here and much as I don't want to be. I don't listen to it very often, by choice. But I put it on this blog because alot of the time, I will come here and turn up the playlist and do things around the house... maybe this way, I will listen to this song more. I certainly need to.

These lines particularly slap me...

"Pretty blue eyes and curly brown hair and a clear complexion
Is how you see Him as He dies for Your sins
But the Word says He was battered and scarred
Or did you miss that part
Sometimes I doubt we'd recognize Him

Cause my Jesus bled and died
He spent His time with thieves and the least of these
He loved the poor and accosted the comfortable
So which one do you want to be?

Cause my Jesus would never be accepted in my church
The blood and dirt on His feet might stain the carpet
But He reaches for the hurting and despises the proud
I think He'd prefer Beale St. to the stained glass crowd
And I know that He can hear me if I cry out loud"

So there you have it, an insight into my very mind...whether you wanted it or not.



1 comment:

Dana said...

I love Dixie Chicks, Sheryl Crow too. I imagine I get judged for both. Oh well.. I can live with that.

And the last song, wow.. yeah, hard to swallow.