2.04.2010

Welcome Home, Soldier!

Roughly 9 months ago, my friend Ellen put her husband, Dr. Mark Benton, on a plane to Kuwait.

Alot can happen in 9 months -- Easter, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Valentine's Day... School Programs, Birthdays, Award ceremonies, First days of school - not to mention kids growing!

But, last night - Mark came home.

So George, Sarah Jane and I stayed up way past SJ's bedtime and met some friends at the airport to welcome him home. On the way there, George and I did our best to explain to SJ the sacrifice that Mark and his family made. I found myself at a loss for words to adequately describe to my 6 year old the sacrifices and the importance of a Soldier, but I did the best I could.

It was a great experience to be there to watch him re-unite with his family after almost a year.

Here are a few pictures from the Welcome:

SJ and her friend, Emily waiting on Mark:
There he is!:

Mark's Daughter, Rachel:
...and then Gregory:
and his wife, Ellen:

There's really nothing like little girls and their Daddy:
Ellen and Mark:
Welcome HOME!:

SJ just signed up for Girl Scouts. Here she is with a few of her Girl Scout friends and Mark:
The Benton Family:
The "Welcoming Committee":


God Blessed America greatly when he filled it with men like Mark. Here in Albany, GA - we're glad he's home.

3 comments:

Whitney said...

Welcome home! I complain about living 5 hours away from my family...I can't imagine being in another country, under stressful conditions, for 9 months! These men and women are truly heroes!

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful Jay! And, the pics are priceless!

Unknown said...

Thanks for this Jay. You really captured the moment so we can always remember this special night.