12.09.2008

Things I love about my four year old....

Next to you, all of the beauty seems so plain,
you would think I'd never seen a beautiful thing:

Since I have a soon to be five year old, I wanted to take a minute to remember some of the things that I love about my four year old.


...her wild, completely un-tame-able hair.
...her obsession with music that so much resembles mine. I hope this never goes away.
...that she is able to go to her room and play with her dolls and her castle for as long as we'll let her.
...those same dolls and castle take her little imagination to a place that I haven't been in 20 years.
..her complete understanding of forgiveness.
...that right now kisses are still okay, even at school.
...that she thinks that the 7 ate 9 joke is the funniest thing she's ever heard.
...that she wanted her nails painted to look like flags on election day.
...her clothes obsession, even though more often than not this turns into a squabble.
...that she wants to sleep in our bed every night.
....her fake little smile in pictures.
....that she still has all her teeth.
...how much she loves Hannah Montana
....listening to her sing "Can you teach my alligator manners?"
....Hot pink cowgirl boots.
...watching her dance.
....The counting game. (it goes something like this... "I love you to 5 mommy... I love you to 11 sarah jane.... Well, I love you to 57 ...and so on until someone says infinity)
...Butterfly kisses.
...Pigtail Braids.
...Big Bows.
....When she grows up, she wants to be a waitress, or a tennis player, or a teacher, or a camera person, or an artist.
...Watching her go through 10 dress up costumes in an hour.
.... how she knows every word to every High School Musical song.
.... Grandbubba.
....Big hugs to see who can squeeze the tightest.
...Playing with make-up
....hearing her talk about her "boyfriend"--- mercy.
....the High five game.
...watching her write her letters.


I have about 8 more days before I officially have a Big Girl. I don't think that I ever thought about this day before, at least until recently. It's a very bittersweet emotion... on one hand, I want her to grow up and see and so everything. On another, I wish that she would stay just how she is forever. I guess it scares me the most that she is growing up until a world like the one we live in. Every instinct inside of me wants to shield her from what I know is coming... and at the same time, I want her to embrace it. I have never sat on the fence with things before... You can pretty much bet that I know where I stand on most anything. But not this. It's a sticky situation.


Here is a song that Sarah Jane and I sing alot. I have had it stuck in my head for a little over a week now. Click here to listen to a clip of it.


Beautiful Child
by Sara Groves (of course)

beautiful child right from the moment you were born
you overtook my heart my world
my beautiful child

tender and sweet both in your crying and your sleep
you radiate a sense of hope
you're beautiful

And I have seen the most amazing sights
in my travels on the earth
misty seas and amber harbor lights
and other things of matchless worth

but next to you all of the beauty seems so plain
you would think I'd never seen a beautiful thing

And I have seen the most amazing sights
in my travels on the earth
seven sacred pools on starry nights
and other things of matchless worth

but next to you all of the beauty seems so plain
you would think i'd never seen a beautiful thing

I have seen the most amazing sights
in my travels on the earth
moonlight sleeping on the canyon heights
and other things of matchless worth

but next to you all of the beauty seems so plain
you would think i'd never seen a beautiful thing

2 comments:

George Houston said...

reading that list of things she does almost made me cry.

almost.

Tony and Susan said...

how sweet! i am totally not good at doing that sort of thing. she will forever cherish that!