1.01.2009

P365, My New Years Resolution

Happy New Year Everybody!!
I, like most people (with the exception of George), have never kept a New Year's resolution. This year, I resolve to change that.

There are alot of things that I plan to do, but I wouldn't call them resolutions. I plan on Bringing back a whole jar of seashells from the beach and making ornaments out of them. I plan on keeping flowers on my Dad's grave. I plan on making sure that my pictures finally make it into albums... which would mean that I have to get them developed/organized first. I plan on Losing some weight. --- and I plan on spending more time with my family (that one is my favorite). By timewith my fam... I mean, not just being in the house at the same time... I mean, good-quality time, doing things with my family. It really hit me this year that I have missed out on alot of things. That will never happen again.


Anyway, there are plenty more things that I "plan" on doing... BUT this is what I resolve to do.... for lots of reasons.

P365

And you're like... "What is that??"-- Here is what it is:


A guy named Taylor McKnight started taking a photo a day in 2004, but he never dreamed the project would not only serve as a way to remember a year, but also help him understand what was important to him in his life. From everything such as his relationships, his career, or his fashion sense, taking a photo a day for a whole year left him with a pretty great visual history of a year in his life. Now... I don't know about you, but in my life --- there are a lot of great things that can happen in a year. And all too often, I have trouble remembering things that happened the day before yesterday. How cool will it be to be able to go back and pin-point an exact day... and say, Oh Yeah... I remember that day, So and so was there and we had a great time or something along those lines?

When I first started thinking about this, I was like...
Taking a photo a day is a big undertaking. But then I did some research and decided that the payoffs were well worth it.


So here are the steps that I am going to take to make sure that this is something that I follow through with:


I plan to bring my camera everywhere:
Yes, everywhere. It's going to be hard to get in this habit. But nothing will be spared...Grocery stores, restaurants, parties, work, church, home, the park... everywhere. If I go to a movie... I am liable to Snap a pic of the flick with my phone–there are photo-ops everywhere. George has a small camera --- so if I can pry it away from him for those not so practical places to have my huge camera, I will have no excuse.

I plan to vary my Themes:
I want to try to capture the day’s events in one photo. That still sounds crazy to me. I want to do things like take a photo of someone I just met, something I ate for the first time, or something I just learned how to do--- or Sarah Jane just learned how to do. Just take pictures of things that make me smile. Also... I am going to throw in a pic of me about once a month... just to document changes. (hopefully weight loss changes) --- As well as a pic of George and Sarah Jane once a month.


I plan to Tell a Story about every picture:
Nothing big, or extravagant... just a story, a reason why I took that picture on that day. This is to help me remember down the road, and it gives friends following along a better appreciation of why you took the photo you did.


I also plan on NOT GIVING UP, No Matter What:
This is the biggest part of all of it. I am sure that I will get tired of taking a photo every single stinkin pinkin day. Some days, I am certain that I will consider giving up. But I won't.



I also plan on posting them regularly:
This doesn't mean that I will update everyday... or even once a week. But at the very least, once every two weeks.


Also... please, CALL ME OUT if you notice me slacking. This is something that I really want to do... and I am fully aware that I am lazy and give up easily. So, seriously... don't be scared to call me out.


Here is a link to some random guy that I don't know that has done this same project:
http://flickr.com/photos/gtmcknight/sets/1748359/show/
Mine will be a bit different, but you get the idea.


There will be a link to my P365 at the top of my blog as soon as I start posting my pics. It will look like this:


So when you see it... Check it out!

1 comment:

Ron said...

Can't wait to check it out! I'll be following!

-Ron